Navigation bar

Home        Stockists        Website        Cargo        Facebook        Instagram        Pinterest        Contact

Thursday 2 May 2013

Harry Clarke

Source: The illustrated book image collective
I thought I'd do another post about one of my favourite illustrator's work. I generally like to keep this blog just as an extension of my website but not today! Oh no!

Harry Clarke was a contemporary of Aubrey Beardsley (you can see that they clearly have the same influences) and Kay Nielsen, belonging to the Golden Age of Illustration. He is probably best known for his work on Edgar Allen Poe's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" and Goethe's "Faust", literary work's which really allowed Clarke to explore some very dark and vaguely disturbing subject matter.

The illustrations are dense and dark, richly detailed - almost obsessively so - and pretty much, just plain amazing! He may not be as well known as other illustrators from his time, but I think you can see his influence on current illustrators such as Sin Eater and Mister Beaudry.

Enough of my fawning, look at the pretty pictures.



Source: http://www.johncoulthart.com
Source: www.lovecraftismissing.com

Source: www.brinkofnada.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment